Thread: Expressway Visual Rwy 31

Expressway Visual Rwy 31

In my opinion, this is the wildest approach at LGA, let alone all 3 airports. How often is it used -- I seldom see it in use these days.

Thanks,
    EK
    If it 'aint Boeing, I 'aint goin'.

It's used quite a bit actually. I jsut depends on whether or not the winds and weather allow it. The clouds have to be at a certain height (above 3,000 feet).

You can view the approach plate here:

http://nycaviation.com/pdf/lga/EV31.pdf
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Despite the date on the chart being current, one of the biggest visual aids on the thing, the Greenpoint gas tanks, has been gone for over 4 years. :?:

It is a fun approach to fly on and watch from the ground. You get a great view of Manhattan and Shea Stadium if you happen to be sitting on the left side of the plane. And the chart says they should turn over the water, but the creek isn't very wide. I think a lot of pilots actually use Main St as a navaid.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Most pilots are already well into their turn by the time they are over Main Street. I would just think it was once they pass Shea.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    it's not exactly a 'wild' approach. kai tak's IGS was a wild one, this is just a simple viual approach. you might consider it a very interesting approach for sure, almost as interesting as the river visual to 13 (seldom used) and the LDA to 22. the 22 and 31 approaches are more commonly used than the 13 approach.

i've flown it before, and it's definately one of those approaches were the pilots spend as much time taking in the views as the pax do. actually, the only approach i haven'd flown myself is the ILS to 4, which i've been trying to log for years now.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Expressway Visual 31

One thing of note also is that they try not to use the expressway approach while the US Open is going on. Also, if I remember correctly, they don't make the right turn on climb out from 13 departures.

There are apparently special arrival/departure procedures in effect during the open.
    It's the fares, stupid

Well, maybe its not that wild :-P.

It's definitely more exciting than an ILS though :-). What makes the LDA 22 so special? Been on it many times and have failed to see anything exciting (except for practically touching down on the water, but thats an ILS thing too).

Thanks for the replies guys, and I guess I stand corrected!

EK

As for the US Open, yes, the aircraft departing off of rwy 13 do not make that initial right heading 180 turn, but instead go straight out for noise abatement and to avoid Sanyo blimp collisions.

LDA 22 is not a straight approach. They approach a little more over the East River and make a slight left turn to line up about 3/4 mile out.

To compare LDA 22 to EV 31 in regards to the turn, that's an insult.

The River visual approach is pretty cool. Though the turn is a little further out than the EV 31 turn is, It's just as hard but only 90 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    As for the US Open, yes, the aircraft departing off of rwy 13 do not make that initial right heading 180 turn, but instead go straight out for noise abatement and to avoid Sanyo blimp collisions.

LDA 22 is not a straight approach. They approach a little more over the East River and make a slight left turn to line up about 3/4 mile out.

To compare LDA 22 to EV 31 in regards to the turn, that's an insult.

The River visual approach is pretty cool. Though the turn is a little further out than the EV 31 turn is, It's just as hard but only 90 degrees.
    The last time I flew in on the LDA 22 we came in over the East river, however we were cleared direct the LGA VOR at 4k'. We then made a right and headed over the north shore, made our "base leg" and then turned to final between New Rochelle and Mamaroneck. The rest of the approach felt like a regular ILS 22.

Here is photo I took on the Expressway visual from a US EXP E-145 on short final, and please note this photo is from the passenger cabin,
    not the flight deck as the view might lead you to believe.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/484052/L/

Cheers

LGA777

Nice shot...can you say short final? :lol:

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    with the US open going on if 31 is in use they will use the localizer approach.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.