Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones Beach Airshow 2012

Since I always go to AAM every year to avoid the beach crowd, I figured I take Thursday off to watch the practice run at the beach for the first time. Now, I'm thinking I might go to FRG instead. If I do go to the beach on Thursday, is there an ideal location to watch the practice from? Thanks. George

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Show center is even with the water tower. Friday would be a better day to go to the beach for the practice show as several planes are flying in on Thursday and won't make it to the beach until Friday.

Go to show center - the beach/boardwalk in front of the water tower at the Wantagh Parkway.

Which runway will the Blues be using to take off for todays flyover? Which one will they be coming back in on when they return? Thanks

Ken

They will use 14/32 - as to which direction they will be going, hard to be sure. In the past, if the winds weren't bad, I've seen them go off on 14 and recover on 32 so as to avoid flying over the residential part of Farmingdale.

I saw on the NYASinfo websie that at 1030 am tomorrow the Blue angels are doing "circle maneuvers", what is that??

Ken

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn View Post
    I saw on the NYASinfo websie that at 1030 am tomorrow the Blue angels are doing "circle maneuvers", what is that??

Ken
    I believe they will go up for a flight for observation (possibly) and then come back to the airport. Usually when they land they do a break and circle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-oCNUndNRs
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Hello guys and gals. So...this is where everyone ran off to when ASB closed up shop. I was a long time member of ASB and posted photos of the Jones Beach Air Shows and the Rhode Island ANG Air Show. While I was awaiting my membership activation on this site I have been staying abreast of all the postings and great photos. I will be down at the beach on Saturday, maybe even for practice on Friday. I will have my Navy and Blue Angels flags flying high just left of show center as always. Great to back among the air show fans again.

Steve Davies
    Medford, NY
    USN 1973 - 1984, Aircraft Structural Mechanic Chief
    Grumman Aerospace (Calverton) Plt 06, 1985 - 1990 (A6E, EA6B, F14A+)
    Lockheed Aeromod (Greenville, SC) 1990 - 1992 (EP3, C130, C9)

Welcome aboard, Steve! Many of us have been here before ASB started, and will be here long after it closed...hope to catch you during the air show. Stop down to the AAM at some point as well, there's lots to see and do there this weekend too!

Just heard from Chris S. that the BAs are in preps to depart NOW, at 10AM.

Hey all. I'm new to the Forum. Have gone to the airshow the last few years alternating between Jones and the AAM. I'm thinking of taking off Friday and hitting AAM this year for photos with the Beach on Saturday or Sunday. Will have a Nikon D90 Coolpix (no, I'm not a serious photog, but it's better than my usual tote around camera) with me. Any thoughts on where I should set up for photos Friday? I went down to FRG Mother's Day weekend and didn't really like shooting over by the terminal/ 56th fighter group. There were way too many cessnas and such obscuring the view of the runway. My main interest is in getting some shots of the Angels, Snowbirds, and the SuperHornet, although I enjoy shooting the AAM's own fleet.Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by rkfast View Post
    Just heard from Chris S. that the BAs are in preps to depart NOW, at 10AM.
    Darnit. About how long from launch to Intrepid, if anyone knows?

Not long...they may be doing some passes down by the beach or something. This would be the first time they are flying together in almost four days so they probably just want to get in the air together for a bit of time before going over to NYC.

Headed down from 6th ave to the river now.

Still haven't left yet, #7 just tested the arresting gear.