3 12.00%
  • ATP

3 12.00%
  • "I always wanted to fly but...."

3 12.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilots, Check in!

Pilots, Check in!

How many of you are pilots? What ratings do you hold? Do you have any tips or tricks that you use all the time when flying?

There has to be a bunch of you out there no?

Check in here!

Re: Pilots, Check in!

I definitely fall into the "I've always wanted to fly but..." category. All I have is my FAA dispatch license, but I'm eager to take to the skies one day, as I'm sure many of you others are who haven't yet.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

You should add "Armchair airline pilot" LOLOL

I fly KC-10s (aerial refueler DC-10 variant)... I've got a FAA commercial (multi & instrument) rating around here somewhere although I've never used it for anything civilian related.

I think it'd be fun to get into and start doing some private "VFR flying" (single or twin engine small planes), but just don't have the time and don't think I can justify the money on it.

I'm an "inactive" pilot - been a few years since I've flown, hope to get back in the cockpit when time and money (well, primarily money) allow. I have a commercial license with multiengine and instrument ratings.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

commercial, instrument and multi on fixed and helo. i'm not current on fixed wings right now, but do own 1/3 of a straight tail bonanza. now most of my time is spent in a Bell 222.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    commercial, instrument and multi on fixed and helo. i'm not current on fixed wings right now, but do own 1/3 of a straight tail bonanza. now most of my time is spent in a Bell 222.
    AWESOME!!! I always wanted to fly helicopters. Is the transition very tough (aside from Stick and Rudder)? Any tips for pilots who want to make the switch?

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    I fly KC-10s (aerial refueler DC-10 variant)... I've got a FAA commercial (multi & instrument) rating around here somewhere although I've never used it for anything civilian related.

I think it'd be fun to get into and start doing some private "VFR flying" (single or twin engine small planes), but just don't have the time and don't think I can justify the money on it.
    Whoa that's a pretty large plane. It's interesting to know that even though you fly a very large complex aircraft for a living you would still enjoy a trot around the skies in a smaller general aviation airplane. Now when I fly a little (compared to the DC10) 172 I'll have a totally different appreciation for it! Thanks for that refreshing bit of info!

Quote Originally Posted by Nassau Flyers

Whoa that's a pretty large plane. It's interesting to know that even though you fly a very large complex aircraft for a living you would still enjoy a trot around the skies in a smaller general aviation airplane. Now when I fly a little (compared to the DC10) 172 I'll have a totally different appreciation for it! Thanks for that refreshing bit of info!
    It's a different type of flying IMO; both are enjoyable.

Flying the -10 doing stuff like large cell formations, aerial refueling at 25,000 feet with all types of aircraft (from F22s to C5s) and doing receiver AR (where we get gas) is a ton of fun. Our missions are pretty well planned out and we are on to-the-minute timelines. There are so many moving parts, and so many things to plan for and account for and make sure are in order before we actually go fly that most of the time we say once the wheels are up the easy part has finally begun.

That being said, while it's a blast, there's also something to be said for going to the local FBO having almost no plan and hopping in a cessna, flying VFR wherever you want, stopping to grab lunch somewhere and then heading home, without worrying about anything but how much it's costing you! I'd love to do the Hudson Corridor, or fly along the L.I. or Jersey shore, or head out to Colorado and do a mountain VFR run...

Just goes to show that flying is fun - whether it's doing 30 knots in a non-powered glider, or traveling around the world in a 747! (unless it's in a helicopter, then it's just plain nuts!)

Airframe & Powerplant License and Student Pilot...
    FAA Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic
    Student Pilot

Where's the space for ATP? Got one of those, too.

Private, Instrument SEL

Would like to like to get a Seaplane rating just for the fun of it. Debating whether or not to go for Commercial. Flying in the soup is the best experience!

My first intro flight was at Nassau Flyers about 10 years ago but I was not impressed with the desk staff or CFI at the time so I ended up at ISP, even though it was 20 minutes further from my house. Hopefully things have improved under the new management!
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!

This is what I got these days...

Commercial Pilot ASEL, ASES, AMEL
    LR-JET SIC Type (Lear 25/35/55)
    CFI/I ASE
    Instrument Airplane
    Advanced/Instrument Ground Instructor

Most of my recent time was in a Piper Seminole and the past 15 or so hours in a Lear 35

ISP Pilot...You should get your SES rating. It was some of the best flying I've ever done!
    ATP MEL, Commercial Pilot ASEL & ASES, CFII
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    , ATR-42, ATR-72, LR-JET, LR-60
    AGI & IGI
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true

ISP Pilot, we hear yah! Instrument is where it's at. Things are going well. We've added more airplanes to our fleet, welcomed additional CFIs to our team and moved into a new space.

ATP DC3,CV240/340/440,Boeing 727,CE560XL/XLS,been flying since I was 16,14,500 hours by the grace of God,and Pratt Whitney, 8000hrs in the DC3,I love that airplane with a passion, still fly the C47 at airshows. Born under the Canarsie Approach,JFK will always be my field of dreams,though truth be told some of my most sublime moments aloft have been experienced behind the stick of the Aeronca Champ flying off of a grass strip,greeting the new day aloft,NORDO,just a whiskey compass,and a sectional to steer by. The journey continues,and i truly think my best flying is still yet to come.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!