Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Uploading to Anet/JP? Pre-Screen Here!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Never thought SCX would touch the 700s but great shot getting both 700 and 800 in same frame!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by RomNYC View Post
    I'm about to upload this one... Any comments and suggestions? Or is it destined to be a fail?

Rom,

Looks great to me... maybe a tad contrasty for my taste, but that is only an opinion, not a fault. It would likely make it as is ;-)

The sky has a bit of pronounced grain ... maybe due to sharpening? Do you mask your sharpening at all?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Thanks Manny. Yes it does have some grain... if only I knew what "masking my sharpening" meant! I know I only sharpened the aircraft, not the sky. Any way I can get rid of it?

Here's a new attempt.

Last edited by RomNYC; 2011-02-25 at 04:58 PM.

I think it looks much better in this version... again, it is just [my] preference, so you really should select [your] favorite

By masking I mean do you isolate the areas to sharpen with a LAYER MASK in Photoshop... let me know if you know about layer masks or not and we'll take it from there. If you;re processing from RAW, the RAW developers in Photoshop and Lightroom have built in masking controls with visual feedback which are far easier than doing layer masks in the main interface. For final sharpening I use USM and [it] has a built in masking mechanism to isolate large swaths and concentrate the effect on just the contrast edge boundaries. I've been working on a video to show some of the few tricks and tips I use to post process my aviation images.
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by heeshung View Post
    Here are my takes:....Any chance we could get the originals in full res? Or you could PM me them; I think both have potential. I especially like the skyline as the ramp backdrop.
    Thanks for the edits Mark. PM sent on the fullsize images.

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Never thought SCX would touch the 700s but great shot getting both 700 and 800 in same frame!
    Nik, thanks for the props, I guess that is about the only advantage to being at MSP, besides 93.7% Delta. Can you explain why SCX would not be interested in the 700?
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

747-8

What do you guys think about these?

Last edited by Nathan McGrew; 2011-02-28 at 11:12 PM.

I think it's a fantastic shot no matter what!

I would go for the first one, but others prefer less contrast! I don't see why any of those two wouldn't make it, but I am no expert :)

What about this? The 747-8 shots and this Wedgetail are re-edits from shots I just had rejected.

*edit*
    Don't know why it looks terrible on here. Here's a direct link to it on my photobucket.

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/...wedgetailb.jpg
    Last edited by Nathan McGrew; 2011-02-28 at 11:25 PM.

Nathan those are incredible! You may run into trouble with the mains being chopped but the right crop would def get in! The runway light blocking the tires too could be an issue.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Yeah, I played with that series of shots with the crop to try to balance it. Unfortunately, my favorite shot (the 1st one) was a bit crooked and I had to lose almost half of the main gear to keep it somewhat centered after rotating.

Tough one Nathan. Maybe zoom out a little and include the whole gear? Then you would have to clone out the light :D I also see some heat distortion.

You mean the area over the wings that has a bit of heat haze? How about now with a little cloning tool touch up?
    Also killed some more noise around the lights and under the nose. Really couln't save the main gear, so I tried to balance it by cutting both gear in half and keeping the lights close to the same distance from the edge of the photo. Makes the nose off center now though.

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/.../IMG_8461e.jpg

Some on the corners and bottom gear maybe. Not on my good monitor but it looks funky. As for cloning remember you can't upload. Only dust spots.

Hey, always looking for new tips for editing, and I would like to take up the offer from Manny about layer masks for sharpening. Thanks

Matt

@Nathan, that image is just rocking!!!! Keep it going. Let me know if you want me to help you with the cloning... I am always looking for practice :-)

@Matt, send me an E-mail and we'll get you going
    Manny Gonzalez