Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Uploading to Anet/JP? Pre-Screen Here!

thanks!,i looked at it and im not sure if i had the $$ for it right now lol :P
    Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    I would suggest going for a used Nikon D40x or D60, and something like a used 55-200mmVR lens to go with it(or its Canon equivalent like the XSi). There are many of them floating around. If you find you enjoy this you could later step up to a more serious model with more features.

I'm not trying to sell you a camera, just saying that a bridge camera will probably end up limiting you whereas a DSLR like those mentioned above would get you in the ballpark of where you want to be. Yes, it is possible to take very good pictures with bridge cameras like the Fuji, I just know that if you feel like you are serious about photography, you will probably end up with an SLR at some point anyway.

Then SAVE your money. Resist the temptation to buy ANYTHING until you have enough for the one you really want... if you want it. You may be happy with what you have

Always remember physics. A small camera with a small sensor boasting a 40X zoom, is not necessarily a direct comparison to reality or the reality you want. 40X in a vacuum just means forty times magnification of whatever the start is.

Most of these cameras quote based on a very wide angle lens of very short focal length ... more like focal ratio. Basically a very small sensor concentrates pixels in the center of the image and they measure from that point of view.

So, a 45mm lens on a 1/2 sensor gives an apparent magnification of a larger focal length.

Angle of View is dictated by distance.
    Magnification is dictated by distance.

45mm on a small sensor or a large sensor will ALWAYS BE 45mm so watch out for those "equivalent" numbers. Sure, I can use my camera with a 25mm lens, crop the central portion of the image and make it look IDENTICAL to one shot with a 250mm lens from the same position. Resolution will be HORRENDOUS on the one shot with the 25mm lens but, the AoV will be identical.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Then SAVE your money. Resist the temptation to buy ANYTHING until you have enough for the one you really want... if you want it. ....
    Quoted for truth. Sometimes it takes time to achieve your goals/wants. Hang out with the smart people, learn photograph, sometimes people will even let you use their equipment.

A Canon Xsi is a decent enough camera to get pictures on Anet or jp.net. Ask me how I know.
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

so true,my photography teacher lets lends us cameras for the weekend,She has some cannons Any idea of what cannon to ask to take out?at the moment i have a Lumix Panasonic Dmc-Fz5,And another Panasonic for recording Vids For my youtube chan,If you have an idea of What cannon Camera Let me know and ill see if she has it,thanks for the help mate :) Lucsa
    Then SAVE your money. Resist the temptation to buy ANYTHING until you have enough for the one you really want... if you want it. You may be happy with what you have

Always remember physics. A small camera with a small sensor boasting a 40X zoom, is not necessarily a direct comparison to reality or the reality you want. 40X in a vacuum just means forty times magnification of whatever the start is.

Most of these cameras quote based on a very wide angle lens of very short focal length ... more like focal ratio. Basically a very small sensor concentrates pixels in the center of the image and they measure from that point of view.

So, a 45mm lens on a 1/2 sensor gives an apparent magnification of a larger focal length.

Angle of View is dictated by distance.
    Magnification is dictated by distance.

45mm on a small sensor or a large sensor will ALWAYS BE 45mm so watch out for those "equivalent" numbers. Sure, I can use my camera with a 25mm lens, crop the central portion of the image and make it look IDENTICAL to one shot with a 250mm lens from the same position. Resolution will be HORRENDOUS on the one shot with the 25mm lens but, the AoV will be identical.

lol how you know?and ill see if i can get one lended to me
    Quote Originally Posted by JDANDO View Post
    Quoted for truth. Sometimes it takes time to achieve your goals/wants. Hang out with the smart people, learn photograph, sometimes people will even let you use their equipment.

A Canon Xsi is a decent enough camera to get pictures on Anet or jp.net. Ask me how I know.

Lucas,

First, know it's Canon, one n So, just the very first cheapest entry model wil ldo. Go with a used 28-300mm Sigma cheapo lens and that alone will elevate your photos to another stratosphere. Trust me, sensor size makes a huge difference. But you have to have your heart in it too.

Another thing you must start to do is to pour through the very best pictures on JetPhotos.net and Airliners.net as they are scrutinized for quality... especially if you want to ultimately get accepted there. If that's not your goal, you can just look at the very best on Flickr or 500px or any other site you like. But by all means, first learn to copy or mimic the best work YOU like.

Go out and ask questions of others who do it well and often. I do that all the time. I spend countless endless hours on photography forums reading and learning and watching how the real pros do it.

Reading books helps a lot. I picked up a book on lighting when I wanted to learn about studio photography. The supposed best books on the subject SUCKED badly. I ended up learning about LIGHT itself from two pros who knew how light functions at a physics level and then applied it to photography. WOW, how eye opening. Now I look at lights and shadows completely differently.

So, take your time and practice. LEARN HOW TO EDIT. Deleting your own photos is the best experience in the world. Learn to be your worst critic. And you either want to be the best you ca nbe or produce as much as possible. Two different mindsets and one will never be the other. If I go out spotting and take 1000 pictures in a single full day of spotting at JFK (lots of traffic) I may end up with 100 keepers... usually one or two per plane. Sometimes a whole hour will get deleted.

You know what, show us some of your other work with your existing camera. Can you show me your very best closeup of a flower? Or a car? Or a landscape? I mean your very best... You may be surprised your camera and your skills are already well matched and then I can show you that for aviation, the camera combo just doesn't fit. If you can;t take a great picture with your existing camera, you need to look at yourself first
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Lucas View Post
    lol how you know?and ill see if i can get one lended to me
    I would say 1/5 of my 1400 images on jp.net/anet are shot with my XS, 10mega pixel and it gets the job done.

Try to find someone to spot with and help you with the editting. The sites have some very specific guidelines that do not change. If you want to upload you play by their rules.

Most of all, have fun. If spotting and taking pictures is not fun it is not worth your time.
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

yea haha i know,last time my Cousin who was a pilot at American eagle was there so was fun,couldn't get into any good spots Due to it being at Jax and not Atalanta,but thanks i will ask my teacher to see if she has that camera and yes i will have someone help me eventually! :P
    Quote Originally Posted by JDANDO View Post
    I would say 1/5 of my 1400 images on jp.net/anet are shot with my XS, 10mega pixel and it gets the job done.

Try to find someone to spot with and help you with the editting. The sites have some very specific guidelines that do not change. If you want to upload you play by their rules.

Most of all, have fun. If spotting and taking pictures is not fun it is not worth your time.

Its been awhile since I have tried Anet, and I would like to know if this has a chance.
    http://cdn-www.airliners.net/addphot...img_2054-2.jpg

And a version with no watermark.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/krisavi...n/photostream/

Kris, motive and crop look like will do fine... however, it is a bit dark for my taste. Perhaps a little less contrast and more brightness? But again, just my own taste. I don;t think there is anything wrong with it.
    Manny Gonzalez

Kris, motive and crop look like will do fine... however, it is a bit dark for my taste. Perhaps a little less contrast and more brightness? But again, just my own taste. I don;t think there is anything wrong with it.
    Thanks Manny, I hope this can get on Anet, but I'll see what I can do on brightness and contrast wise.

What you all think it will get rejected for?:P

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Lucas View Post
    What you all think it will get rejected for?:P
    Bits cut off, contrast, horizon, centering.....
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

Hey guys!

Do you think any of these would stand a chance on jp.net?

Thanks,

Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

The crops are a bit tight... I like the first one a lot more than the other two and number 2 seems a bit high in frame. Also, don;t forget to check off dusk dark night shot category as it is pretty late it seems :-) Number one is also a bit high in frame as is...

What do you think?
    Manny Gonzalez