Thread: JFK Maintenance Facilities

JFK Maintenance Facilities

Does anyone know who has what type of aircraft maintenance facilities at JFK? Whichever ones I know I'll list below, but please share whatever knowledge you have on this. Also, if you have any historical info (i.e. which facilities Pan Am, TWA, etc. used to occupy), please share as well. Started thinking about this and now I'm really curious...

AA - Hangar 10 - I think this is only line maintenance, but not sure
    DL - used to do deicing ops over at Hangar 12, but I think that line maintenance is carried out at the terminal (another question would be if DL is really stepping up JFK into a major international hub with fleets based there [75W, 77L, etc], then why not have a hangar to do maintenance work?)
    B6 - Hangar 81 - line maintenance
    UA - Hangar 19 - I also think this is line maintenance, but not sure

Anyone got anything else?
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Re: JFK Maintenance Facilities

I know DAL has a maintenance facility right across from the evergreen terminal. Ive seen the new 757's with winglets there quite a few times. Although, ive only seen new paint scheme aircraft there.

I used to work in hangar 12 when TWA had their dispatch office located there, what is the building being used for now? I miss that old place

The Port Authority stores vehicles and equipment inside HGR 12, the airport beacon is still on the roof, there is a radiant deicing facility in close proximity to the bay doors, and the parking lot is used for employee parking for AA. I work with a few people from the old TWA DX staff.
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

Pan Am used to be the original tenants of Hangar 19, now UAL.
    United used to do MX in Hangar 8, which also has been demolished and is now Bldg 22 - Worldwide Cargo.
    Eastern Airlines used to operate out of Hangar 9, which was demolished, and is now the home of Lufthansa Cargo.

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Tower Air used to use Hangar 17. I don't think they did much maintenance there though... :)

Are they still storing World Trade Center debris in one of those hangars?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

HGR 17 still has WTC artifacts and emergency vehicles that were destroyed on 9/11. The fianl beam removed from the pit in May of 2002 is also stored there
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

Quote Originally Posted by adam613
    Tower Air used to use Hangar 17. I don't think they did much maintenance there though... :)
    It was originally a Pan Am hangar. On at least one occasion, they let Air France use it to work on Concorde:

Pan Am also used Hangar 14, right next door. BA used it on a couple of occasions also:

Moose- wicked cool pictures! Thanks so much for sharing! I love seeing classic JFK photos.
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

I have photos I took there of those WTC beams and the full PATH train cars that were in-station during the attacks.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Those Concorde pictures are great to see.
    Often airlines that need hangar space due to a broken aircraft will use the facilities of other airlines that way. When I worked for US. One occasion we had a Allegheny Dash8 in the AA Hangar to replace a damged prop in the winter. I used the opportunuty to walk around inside and chek out one of several DC10's also in the hangar. I also learned the AA Hangar has a heated floor !
    We also had an F-28 in the TWA hangar 12 ( Piedmont days ) after it was wacked by a commisary truck.

I also rode right seat, communicated with JFK ground on a 737 as we taxied from T5 to Hangar 17 and brought it back the next day.

The last one was a US A319 which was parked at Hangar 19 following a diversion. The very nice mechanics at UAL allowed me to drive my car right out on the ramp and into the Hangar while I babysat the airplane and secured ground handling so it could depart. ( this was when US had no JFK station )

ahh the good times at JFK...

Quote Originally Posted by DHG750R

The last one was a US A319 which was parked at Hangar 19 following a diversion. The very nice mechanics at UAL allowed me to drive my car right out on the ramp and into the Hangar while I babysat the airplane and secured ground handling so it could depart. ( this was when US had no JFK station )

ahh the good times at JFK...
    Where did the US A319 originate from--LGA? Why did it need to divert?
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Yes It was out of LGA , had to shut an engine down during just a few mins after takeoff.

I'd have to find the old CDs with the beam shots, but here are the PATH trains.

Email me anytime at [email protected].