Thread: British Airways 777 Write Off Threatens Route Expansion

British Airways 777 Write Off Threatens Route Expansion

The market for second-hand 777s is extremely slim, and if BA cannot soon find a replacement for the one that crash landed at Heathrow last month, they may have to cut back their 2009 route expansion plans. Four new 777-200ERs being delivered next year have already been accounted for.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... nsion.html
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: British Airways 777 Write Off Threatens Route Expansion

I really would hate to see BA lose its oppurtunity to expand, BA is an amazingly superb airline and would love to have more options when I fly with them. I also feel that if they do not expand their routes T5 will become somewhat underutilized, and with all the hype surrounding it I feel that it would be a shame to put it to waste. I think BA can find a replacement 777, if Alitalia goes further under, I think that BA could take one of their 777's off their hands

The article doesen't even quote a source at BA so I have trouble buying this. One 777 doesn't even make up 1% of BA's total capacity and there are plenty of second hand 767s and 747s that could come online to free up a 777 to be used on w/e new intl routes BA is looking to start. I don't really buy this story.

I don't buy anything they say.

They have better spin doctors than George Bush :roll: They are just trying to make it sound worse than it is to try and increase any payout from their insurance and anyone elses insurance that may be found at fault in this. It's like Air France suing Continental for causing the Concorde crash in Paris.

I'd love to see BA go the way of the dodo bird!