Thread: 2013 Jones beach Air Show - Will it happen?

2013 Jones beach Air Show - Will it happen?

Due to the amount of damage sustained by Jones Beach from "Sandy" do you think this year's air show will happen?

There seems to be a lot of damage to Jones Beach, the Boardwalk and Ocean Parkway in general.

Just curious.

Hope eveyone made out OK during the storm.
    I just got power back last night at 10:04PM after 12 days, 7 hours and 34 minutes of no power, but who was counting.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by fk6065 View Post
    Due to the amount of damage sustained by Jones Beach from "Sandy" do you think this year's air show will happen?
    There seems to be a lot of damage to Jones Beach, the Boardwalk and Ocean Parkway in general.
    Just curious.
    Good question. Saw pics of the oceanfront east of Jones Beach (Robert Moses, Smith Pt Park) and it didnt look good. Looked terrible actually. It is 6 plus months away so maybe some magic could be done. Buit then again who knows how many more storms we get before that. Wonder if A/C beach faired better.

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    As of now the park is closed indefinitely. The Wantagh-Seaford patch spoke to the park director about the theater and she said:

"It's a very important part of Jones Beach and the Long Island and New York City communities," she said. "People love to come to shows here. I think a lot of resources will have to be put in in order to get it up and running by next summer but it's important it gets done."

There is a ton of damage but hopefully they will have most of it repaired in time for Memorial Day as it is a big money maker for the park. I feel the same way about Atlantic City. I assume we'll find out next month whether these shows are a go or not.

You can read the full article:
    http://wantagh.patch.com/articles/jones-beach-looking-to-rebuild-after-wrath-of-sandy
    Last edited by Fighting_falcon_51; 2012-11-12 at 09:11 AM.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Yeah I heard the Atlatic City beach was just about wiped away along with a large section of the boardwalk.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

They opened up Field 2 at Jones Beach and it was such a nice day i took a ride over. As soon as you get to the beach there is a lot of water right there so one has to go to the left by the dunes to get to the shoreline. But unless you have boots or want to get your feet wet you cant get to the shoreline as a "stream" runs parallel to the shoreline for as long as i can see. I walked east past the dunes and in front of the concession/restaurant right around where show center would be is only what i can describe as a lake!! You have to go all the way up to the end of the beach by the boardwalk to get around this lake to proceed east. And the boardwalk in that area east of F2 looks pretty torn up.
    When I walked back to go to my car i saw a number of people standing by a swan that was just sitting in the sand not far from the beach entrance. I talked to a woman there who told me the swam limped over and plopped down and looks sick. She was making calls to get the swan "rescued" and myself and a few others joined in working the lines. I even called News12 Hotline who put me in touch with a few people. Well this young girl who works at West Islip Vet Hospital eventually came over, checked the swan then wrapped the swan in a blanket, put it in a box and took it out there. It was pretty amazing as people came over with food and water which the bird happily took and worked to rescue this animal.

Ocean Parkway reopened today. The road is squeezed to one lane in each direction for awhile by TOBAY Beach. Bids are out to construction companies and work is expected to begin by mid-Dec and be finished by Memorial Day. It will be a 24 hour intensive job.
    We shall see!!

I haven't seen it myself, but heard from a highly trusted source that NYS Parks has already issued a statement saying ther would be an airshow at JB in 2013.

The repair work on Ocean Pkwy has to be completed by May 1 to qualify for federal funds, so they have every reason to see that the beach is ready before the show.

Seems like there would just be too much money lost not to have it...

The news from ICAS today - the Thunderbirds announced they will be at Jones Beach in 2013, and the Blue Angels will be there in 2014.

Wow! The Thunderbirds actually want to grace us with their presence this year?

Repair Work Has Started on Ocean Parkway

I drive between Medford and Oceanside (M-F) and take Ocean Parkway home each afternoon. There is contruction equipment down there and they are repairing the missing dunes at this time. That must be the first priority before they can start actual road surface repairs. Trouble is a lot of the vegetation was washed away during the storm surge and flooding so any new sand is being blown away (sometimes onto Ocean Parkway, which was why it was closed last Wednesday morning) because there is nothing to restrict the wind and hold the sand in place. It's a huge undertaking but I think they will have it done by the May 1st deadline.