Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best and worst airline and flight you've ever flown on?

Best and worst airline and flight you've ever flown on?

For me my best flight so far was on American Airlines in March05. American was using the Boeing 777-223ER on the KMIA-KJFK route on Flt. 1262 EXCELLENT SERVICE and a treat on a domestic flight in first class.

My second best flight was on a Virgin Atlantic A340-313 in 1999. Excellent service in Upper Class a true once in a life time experience from London Heathrow (LHR/ EGLL) to New York Kennedy (JFK/ KJFK) Very nice and attentive crew, great food, and of course a great seat.

My worst flight to date was on Aeroflot Russian Airlines on a TU-134A-3 St. Petersburg- Pulkovo Russia (LED/ ULLI) to Moscow's Sheremetyevo (SVO/ UUEE) Russia. Dirty aircraft, very nasty ground staff and flight attendants. As far as the seat goes just hope it doesn’t break and fall forward like the one in front of me. Also if any one is wondering TU-134A-3’s do not have oxygen masks and the over head is a space not a bin talk about watch for luggage that may have shifted during takeoff. You are crushed on to a bus to take you out to the stand to board and no they don't have jet bridges at domestic terminals in Russia so its COLD!!! And just to further set the seen it was the early morning in December04. I remember thinking are they going to de-ice the plane as we had 3 inches long ice crystals on the entire front of both wings, not to mention a nice buildup of ice on the entire fuselage? The answer was NO!!! In Russia they fly like fighter pilots even though it’s an airliner when you go up you go up, when you turn you turn, and when you go down you go down not to mention the cracking noises the plane makes you know that can't be good. One last memorable thing is the aircraft you board is normally parked next to another Soviet type aircraft such as other TU-134's, TU-154's and IL-86's being cannibalized for parts the only problem is you don't know if your plane is the one being cannibalized or the one going to Moscow that morning until they point you in the correct direction. Another strange note not related to this flight was Russian airports as someone used to the activity at the New York’s airports it is very hard to get used the idea of a capital and major city like Moscow’s Sheremetyevo airport having next to no arrivals or departures the entire time you are at the airport. I could count on one hand the number of arrivals and departures I remember observing while at Sheremetyevo with almost all of them being Soviet era. It is always strange to read about Russian aviation in the various magazine publications about all the western jets that are supposable in service in this country, yes you will see some western type aircraft even in Aeroflot’s fleet but the sky still looks very Soviet to me.

My second worst flight surprisingly was on Delta Air Lines DAL31 Boeing 767-332ER Moscow's Sheremetyevo (SVO/ UUEE) Russia to New York Kennedy (JFK/ KJFK) USA. The aircraft engines did not want to start in Russia that’s not a good thing. The flight attendants were not friendly, the food was horrible and the seat disappointing in Delta's International Business Class. Unlike Aeroflot however I would defiantly give Delta a second chance in the future even though I am a loyal American Airlines customer.

I just thought it would be interesting to post my experiences and learn about other people’s best and worst flights and Airlines. I look forward to everyone’s responses.
    Train exceeding medium speed must at once reduce to that speed!

Best flights.... TWA, WN, B6, Comair

Worst..... Anything AA

Best flight would have to be a toss up between DEN-LGA on a UA757 in First Class and EWR-DEN on a Continental 739 in First Class...
    The seats were nicer on the UA 757, but the service was definately better on CO...

Worst flight? ANC-DEN on an Alaska Airlines 737. The flight was a redeye, and even though the service was fine, I was seated next to D-Bo (well someone who was his size) and who took up not only the entire armrest, but about an 1/8 of my seat. It was in economy too, so to begin with I didn't have much room. I wasn't able to get any sleep, and was uncomfortable most of the flight.

Best flight: Song 2078 (PBI-LGA); N6708D: My third time onboard Song. As always, the flight attendants were friendly as can be, the cabin was looking great (I know some of you hate the color of the seats, but I'm referring to their condition), the food for purchase was great (and has been in the past), the flight was comfortable, and the pilots were very friendly and welcomed me inside the cockpit.

Worst flight #1: America West 108 (LAX-LAS); N826AW: I flew this one last week, my first time with the airline and first time on an A319. From the beginning I knew the flight wasn't going to be enjoyable. The seat cushions weren't evne in place! Mine was almost on the floor, the seat backs seemed very thin and flimsy, the armrests had ashtrays (I'm assuming an old aircraft since smoking is no longer allowed), on engine startup an alarm sounded and fumes began filling the cabin (we notified a F/A but they said it was normal.... .... ....), and for the drink service they only had water (no soda or beer or coffee or whatever...)

Worst flight #2: Delta 1872 (LAS-JFK); N644DL: This one I flew earlier this Sunday night from Las Vegas. It was onboard my favorite aircraft (Song), but boy was that interior falling apart! The equipment under my mother's seat (26E) was hanging out and I tripped over it getting to my seat. I tried to put it back in place but the cover was cracked and broken, a few of the PTVs were not working (and were rebooting just as a computer), the seat covers were in need of a fix as they were coming apart, the inflight meal SUCKED BADLY, especially on that 5 hours flight, and the flight attendants were not too pleasant. However, the pilots were great.
    Christos

Best flights have been domistically Continental 1410/1411 which I frequent up in first class partially for the fact I get ot do it for free and also because they actually serve some sort of food on these flights. Other than that I would have to say that internationally it is a toss between my very first one as a little kid on a BA 742 JFK-LHR or on TWA when I was like 12 from JFK to Rome. Food plays an important role. If it was based on perks I would not be able to decide though because I just wear my badge when I fly and drink the whole way usually.

Worst for service was Pan Am clipper connection 727 from Orlando Sanford to BQN down in Puerto Rico with my ex girlfreind. I had to sacrifice the window to her, no service really on board, and a broken seat that would not go back to upright position and lock. Other than that Southwest who I always avoid flying unless I have to but I kind of have Blue feaver so anyone sucks compared to them domestically. LOL
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Best Flight: United p.s. JFK-SFO, JFK-LAX. Great service, flights left early, comfortable plane.

Worst Flight: ATA, MDW-LGA (actually MDW-PHL-LGA)...old 757; was delayed in Chicago for an hour because of weather. Bad weather persisted in NYC so we circled until diverting to PHL. Upon approach a bird struck the cockpit windscreen, requiring further delay. Worst of all, right in front of me was a family with young children who would not be quiet.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Man, im torn.

Most of my memorable flights were on TWA, but recently it has been on WN.

I agree with Tom here that AA really needs to get their service up, i had maybe one or two excellent flights on AA, but the rest of the time it wasn't anything to write home about at all.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

So far...

Best flight: November 2005. DCA-LGA, USAirways A319. Comforable, friendly, empty flight....smooth from check in to baggage claim.

Worst flight: March 2005. BWI-FLL, AirTran 737. CRAMPED, smelly, old equipment, poor service.

Mel- Not to argue but how can your equipment on AirTran be old? Because ALL 737 with Airtran is no older then 3 years old at the most. All of them are brand new. Unless you got a 717 then I'd understand, but just curious how airtran made a brand new 737 be old for you?

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Honestly Alex....back then I didn't know the difference between a 777 and an Embraer (I exaggerate, but you get the point). I THINK I remember the engines being wing mounted, but I could just be retrospectively ignorant (It totally could've been a 717). I remember the seats being beat up and torn. Whatever the reason, that flight stands out in my mind for not so great reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    Honestly Alex....back then I didn't know the difference between a 777 and an Embraer (I exaggerate, but you get the point). I THINK I remember the engines being wing mounted, but I could just be retrospectively ignorant (It totally could've been a 717). I remember the seats being beat up and torn. Whatever the reason, that flight stands out in my mind for not so great reasons.
    ahh ok, no problem, just was a bit stumped how a 737 could be that ragged up being so newly delivered to Airtran.

Sorry it wasn't good for you, I'd love to try them out one day.

Alex

Yeah I work part time (6 hours a week) taking care of them at SRQ and the 717's even the ones on the older side are pretty nice in the inside except for like two of them I can remember. the 737's well unless you are in the bin than there is no way it can be ragged they are gorgeous they even have the blueish t7 style lighting in it during the evening on the interior.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I guess I'm just a big fat liar. :P

is it possible that is Mar. 2005 that AirTran still had some older planes in their fleet, I remember 737-200's?????
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

In 2005 the 732s were long gone. It was probably a DC-9. Those things were real old. They made NW's DC-9s look new. In general AirTran's cabin isn't he most comfortable even on the newer planes. Their seats aren't wide and the pitch isn't that great. The few times I've flown them I've upgraded to biz class, for $30 bucks you can't go wrong.