Thread: NY Times Article about Photography of a Transportation Depot

Jamaica, New York, United States, 111046035586548, Jamaica, New York

NY Times Article about Photography of a Transportation Depot

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/ The Article is from 02/07/12 and titled" A Depot and a Fight to Photograph the City

Please pass this on to anyone who may be interested. How does this apply on Port Authority Property? Is that considered "public property"?

I don't know if you need to log in to view the text of this. If you have any trouble, I can copy and paste the text here.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ee-or-does-it/

David Abbey

Port Authority grounds are technically private property, the argument being that the PA is a self-funded entity that does not receive tax dollars, unlike the MTA. They can legally tell you to stop photographing while on PA property and have you arrested if you don't comply, though I don't know of any instances where this has happened.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

But certainly NOT if you're across a public street on a public conveyance (sidewalk) etc. etc. :-)
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    But certainly NOT if you're across a public street on a public conveyance (sidewalk) etc. etc. :-)
    Does that include standing on the side of the Van Wyck or JFK Expressway snapping a photo of a plane overhead, or do those roadways stop being a public street once they cross onto JFK grounds?
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

JFK Expressway should be a public conveyance. The problem is that you are probably going to be asked to move for obstruction of traffic etc. But taking pictures [from] there should not be [the] problem :-) How you get to the spot? If by car, you must keep moving. If you stop to take the pictures, you will be asked to move not for picture taking but because you stopped on a highway and are likely endangering others or the like. The picture taking is usually not the problem itself is the activity around it. At JFK the trespassing is the issue, not the pictures. They actually have no issues with the pictures officially, it is the access and trespassing they get you with.

The problem will be the challenge and do you want to go through the hassle. So let's say you walked from Jamaica and somehow you end up on the JFK Exp. on foot and are simply on the side of the road under 13L taking pictures. You will be immediately suspicious to someone, with reasonable reason. You will likely be approached very quickly and probably treated not so politely... wrong, but it will happen. If you insist, you will be removed somehow, regardless of your rights or legality or what not. The idea is to remove you first, regardless of rules, laws etc. I think it is a good call on the part of the law enforcement officers because frankly, who are you at this point? In the end, you will most likely be let go with a stern warning, a serious argument and all sorts of angry looks, lots of cursing at you etc. but not charged with a single thing related to your taking of pictures of 13L arrivals from that spot. You will NOT be charged with trespassing since you crossed over no fences or gates and have as much freedom to get to that spot on foot as you do in a car.

EVEN IF YOU DO go into one of the restricted areas like the parking lots or the terminals, the worse that can will likely happen is you being asked to leave in a very serious way and your refusal will land you in the can... maybe not arrested or charged, but they will take you forcibly away :-)
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Port Authority grounds are technically private property, the argument being that the PA is a self-funded entity that does not receive tax dollars, unlike the MTA.
    Yes..........a self-funded agency that rips off the public by increasing bridge tolls and wastes millions of dollars. If the agency gets some of their funding from the public (bridge tolls), why isn't that considered about public funded entity? Airports, to me equate to public! The flying public pays, also shouldn't that be considered as being a public fund. It all depends on how one twists the words around (just like lawyers).
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Didn't I just read a couple days ago that there was a 'scathing' report released after an internal audit of the PA, that actually said the Port is a DYSFUNCTIONAL agency in which most of its workers are overpaid?

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Didn't I just read a couple days ago that there was a 'scathing' report released after an internal audit of the PA, that actually said the Port is a DYSFUNCTIONAL agency in which most of its workers are overpaid?
    http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/audi...c-20120207-apx Yup....

JFK Expressway is I-878....interstate roadway that receives federal funding. It's about as public as it can get. In fact, it is the shortest interstate in the country ad like 6 miles or something.

If it had sidewalks....I've be spotting on it. :)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

As it's an interstate are pedestrians not banned anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    As it's an interstate are pedestrians not banned anyway?
    He's not a pedestrian, he's a spotter!!