Thread: 747 Spotting at BOS Questions

747 Spotting at BOS Questions

Hi guys.

Any way to see a schedule of when any 747s will be coming into BOS Logan? I would love to get some photos and bring my little 2-year old man along to spot a jumbo this weekend. Also, is there a specific runway the heavies use in Boston?

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug,
    Welcome to NYCA.
    I like to use FlightAware.com to check the flights. They also have an iPhone app if you have one. Not sure about Android. Here's the link to FlightAware Boston: http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KBOS

Two other websites of interest for spotting at BOS is LiveATC.net where you can listen to Logan's approach, tower, ground, etc. http://www.liveatc.net/ They also have an iPhone app which is very useful...again, don't know about Android. This will give you a good indication which runways are active. Of course, if you have a scanner, that's the best, but requires you to be in the immediate vicinity.

And, a cool website to track flights is Airport Monitor by Passur. Here's the link to BOS: http://www4.passur.com/bos.html This requires Java to be enabled in your browser.

Heavies, especially the 747 and A340 will use runways 4R/22L and 33L/15R, Logan's longest runways. I've seen A330's land on 27 occasionally, but not the big heavies.

It pays to check the above websites before you go, as this will dictate where you spot. Right now, Friday afternoon, with the winds out of the WNW, 27 and 33L were active for landings with 33L for the heavies. Please note that there really isn't great spotting for 33L as it is an over water approach.

This website has an excellent spotting guide for Logan if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.nycaviation.com/spotting-guides/bos/

Anyhow, here's Saturday's daylight heavy schedule sorted by arrival times:

767 Delta Flt 623 from London arrives 12:20
    747 British Airways Flt 213 from London arrives 12:52
    A333 Delta Flt 231 from Amsterdam arrives 12:55
    767 Alitalia Flt 614 from Rome arrives 13:41
    A333 Aer Lingus Flt 135 from Shannon arrives 13:44
    747 Lufthansa Flt 422 from Frankfort arrives 13:59
    A333 Aer Lingus Flt 137 from Dublin arrives 15:32
    767 Delta Flt 267 from Amsterdam arrives 16:45
    777 Air France Flt 338 from Paris arrives 16:55
    A346 Virgin Atlantic Flt 11 from London arrives 17:35
    A343 Lufthansa Flt 424 from Munich arrives 17:49
    747 British Airways Flt 215 from London arrives 1914
    A333 Swissair Flt 52 from Zurich arrives 1917

Not like JFK, of course, but between noon and 3pm there are 2 747's scheduled. The big A340's come in later. Sunday's schedule is similar...and with JAL's 787.

Hope this helps!

Doug, I might add that during the nice weather, with your son, you would like Castle Island (Pleasure Bay, Fort Independence) when the 4's are the active runways. The planes fly right overhead and there's lots to do there with kids. There's the old fort which you can tour, and a playground as well. Then there's Sullivan's, where you can get food/soft serve ice cream. My kids, when they were younger, loved the area. Safe too.
    Constitution Beach (for the 22's) is nice too for kids.

Stay away from the airport proper unless you have gotten prior permission to spot (at the garages). You most likely will get questioned by Massport/State Police and asked to leave.
    Last edited by billv; 2012-04-27 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks very much, Bill. This is all great info. Perfect! Yes, quite familiar with Ft. Independence. I was there last weekend, snapped the shots of the JAL 787, I posted to the thread in this forum. We will go explore this afternoon, I will post any photos I come home with.

Hi,

I believe today they are ARR: 33L and DEP: 27,33L its tough to get close to the action on this configuration, you can try the top of AA Terminal B, you can see the whole airfield, I dont know if its still the same, but, you can check in with the Mass Stae Police and let them know you are up there with your sun and they used to be ok with it. In a month they will close R/W 15R-33L for rehab and EMAS installation, at that time they will use 4R-22L, 4L-22R and 9-27 which there are plenty of spots to watch

Hope it helps

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    That was only 2 questions. You have 745 more to go.

"That was only 2 questions. You have 745 more to go" -- :-) :-) :-)

Dugmar I have one change to Bill's excellent info that he provided... Air France is now flying a 747 on flight 338 for the summer.... currently it arrives around 5:40 pm... Like with any airline they can run any type of aircraft they have on any given day due to whatever reasons... but for the most part Air France has been a 747 over the last two weeks..

Rich B

Thanks guys. We had a great day Saturday. The flights that you mentioned Bill came in, just a bit late, but we were ready. We hung out at Coughlin Park and caught the BA flight and then went out to Deer Island and watched the Shamrock 135 come in as well as Luftansa 422. I found Deer Island a perfect vantage point to spot, I am surprised it is not on the BOS Spotting guide. Great place to explore and wear out a little 2 year old as well! I will post photos soon (I shoot in RAW so it takes some time to process.)

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    That was only 2 questions. You have 745 more to go.
    www.instantrimshot.com