Thread: Possible New york trip this summer

Possible New york trip this summer

Hey everyone its possible i may go to New york and then possible into Canada even,even though im from New york i haven't been there since 3 years ago,any tips on where i can get some good shots in ny? thats not in the city never had like the city..thanks :)

Hi Lucas, I assume you mean spotting locations? check out the maps on the site for places to go, you'll possibly run into one or more of us

I am going to assume you meant New York City and not spotting :-)

Here is a list of Must Do in my opinion if I was a visitor to my home town.

--Central Park. Plan at least half a day in the park. Visit the Belvedere Castle, Strawberry Fields and Bethesda Fountain as a must.

--Metropolitan Museum of Art. To me, only the Louvre is better... at least half a day. I would do Central Park and Museum in one day. The Museum is sort of in the park :-)

--The Empire Estate Building. Needs no explanation.

--ALTERNATIVE to above, or if you can, do both. Top Of The Rock. Go to the top of the NBC Building at Rockefeller Center.

--Rockefeller Center itself. Do both above and this on the same day

--The Statue of Liberty... if you must, but, only if you are into true patriotism and liberty and freedom and such. I am a sucker for this so I would not miss the Statue :-)

--World Trade Center Memorial. Now more important the ever!

--If you can, go to Weehawken in NJ at Sunset. The views of NYC from there at sunset are unexplainable in words!

--Times Square. No need to explain... go at 9:00pm to 12:00am on a Friday night... nothing like it on this earth :)

----

So much more to do, it would be hard to do in three days. Other musts for me would be

-Grand Central Terminal

-Macy's

-Carnegie Deli (the best Corned Beef and Pastrami in the world)

-A Yankee Game. Skip the Metropolitans, The Yankees is where's at (Bring the Flame )

-The Worlds Fair. Not as glamorous as it once was... but...

-The Bronx Zoo is still considered one of the best in the world. I don;t think it is [that] great anymore but if you are looking for alternatives.

-The Brooklyn Bridge

-Wall Street: Federal Hall

-Coney Island
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Don't forget Penn Station/Grand Central Station, and a ride on the subway(hopefully some breakdancers or a mariachi band will get on your train for your 'entertainment')

Guggenheim Museum
    Intrepid Museum
    Seaport
    St. Patrick's Cathedral

the list goes on

haha im from New york origanally,But i thought i would be able to go up to see my cousin's graduation...But did not Am going to a reuinon at St Augustine so hopefully ill get some good shots with that new camera Hoping to have it ordered by this week...,thanks though will keep in mind incase i get to go there
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    I am going to assume you meant New York City and not spotting :-)

Here is a list of Must Do in my opinion if I was a visitor to my home town.

--Central Park. Plan at least half a day in the park. Visit the Belvedere Castle, Strawberry Fields and Bethesda Fountain as a must.

--Metropolitan Museum of Art. To me, only the Louvre is better... at least half a day. I would do Central Park and Museum in one day. The Museum is sort of in the park :-)

--The Empire Estate Building. Needs no explanation.

--ALTERNATIVE to above, or if you can, do both. Top Of The Rock. Go to the top of the NBC Building at Rockefeller Center.

--Rockefeller Center itself. Do both above and this on the same day

--The Statue of Liberty... if you must, but, only if you are into true patriotism and liberty and freedom and such. I am a sucker for this so I would not miss the Statue :-)

--World Trade Center Memorial. Now more important the ever!

--If you can, go to Weehawken in NJ at Sunset. The views of NYC from there at sunset are unexplainable in words!

--Times Square. No need to explain... go at 9:00pm to 12:00am on a Friday night... nothing like it on this earth :)

----

So much more to do, it would be hard to do in three days. Other musts for me would be

-Grand Central Terminal

-Macy's

-Carnegie Deli (the best Corned Beef and Pastrami in the world)

-A Yankee Game. Skip the Metropolitans, The Yankees is where's at (Bring the Flame )

-The Worlds Fair. Not as glamorous as it once was... but...

-The Bronx Zoo is still considered one of the best in the world. I don;t think it is [that] great anymore but if you are looking for alternatives.

-The Brooklyn Bridge

-Wall Street: Federal Hall

-Coney Island

sure will :P
    Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Don't forget Penn Station/Grand Central Station, and a ride on the subway(hopefully some breakdancers or a mariachi band will get on your train for your 'entertainment')

Guggenheim Museum
    Intrepid Museum
    Seaport
    St. Patrick's Cathedral

the list goes on

Hi there. Can anyone recommend a Hotel @ JFK which can be used as a base for photo's, not number crunching. I've seen the offerings on plane-spotting-hotels.com but they don't look great. I'd prefer not to have to hire a car and to be able to walk but will do if nothing of any use. Thanks Andy

There are a few hotels nearby but, you will still need to travel AWAY from them to get to the spotting locations...

IGNORE A, B and C which are some sort of reservations offices :-)

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...&ved=0CPIBELYD

IF you decide to walk, and you certainly can, use the map on our spotting guides to let you figure out distances involved. You will probably want to take the bus to all but one of the locations (The Mounds) and even that one I would not walk to :P
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Still closed due to damage from Sandy, no reopening date announced as of yet...
    http://www.nps.gov/stli/after-hurricane-sandy.htm

Peter Luger in Brooklyn/Great Neck isn't half bad either...really though, best steak ever if you like steak.

Aviation wise, there's also the Cradle of Aviation museum out in Garden City.
    Adam Sheinhaus