Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Uploading to Anet/JP? Pre-Screen Here!

@JBong That image is sweet. I'd say to make a stronger case, make sre it is CENTERED top to bottom. If you "can't" because there is no room in the image, get as close as you can. They are really strict about centering... well at least from recent experience. :-)
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

@SDRivers- I highly doubt any of them will make it. Your images are very soft, uncentered, and could use a touch more contrast. Take a glace at this:
    http://www.airliners.net/faq/rejection_reasons.php
    Good luck!
    @JBong- Looks great from my eye.
    Adam Sheinhaus

I think that the Cathay and JAL ones would stand achance with a little more sharpening. The big thing though is just clarity, alot of the shots have a little blur/not locked on great. Do you use auto metering/focus or do you have it manually set in your camera?
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Yeah its all set to auto when I shoot, I have stigmatism so I rely on the auto-focus to pull focus.. funny thing, when I print these (using a durst theta 76) they print clear and crisp.

@gonzalu I have a hard time with blacks being totally black, as I like having the detail in the shadows...

That's to be expected during Full Sunlight and harsh top/down light. There can be lots of exposure variation from the top of the airframe to the bottom of the wheels in shadow. I tested this on a Swiss Air A340 the other day at Panera and the very top edge was 5 stops over the bottom of the wheel undercarriage... 15 stops!! The top of the white plane was I believe EV +15 and the wheels at EV -2 or -6 I can;t remember now... but that is about 15 stops of range. Well, our digital cameras don't handle that as well as film. My D3 has the best dynamic range of any of my digital cameras with about 8-10 maybe 11 from a 14bit RAW file. If I expose for the top of the white frame to not blow it, parts of the wheels will NOT GET any data recorded. Meanijng BLACK PIXELS. NO WAY to recover them. Our hobby is that tough. All we can hope for is to get a nice low flying shot over a CONCRETE runway to get natural reflection on the belly (or similar condittions) Over water = black. Over grass = black etc. etc. Now lots of more variables can help this or not.

Always remember the formula that on a digital file, data is split in chunks given to the various components and shadow data gets the LEAST on the left while each successive shade of gray gets double the previous one. You've heard of exposing to the right?

Well, if you see the above, the camera will actually store close to nothing for the shadows and you can't get a lot of data there to BEGIN with cause your sensor's latitude may be only a few stops.

I usually like to BLOW the very top edge of the plane if it is while and I am shooting from a low angle. This top edge can easily be pure white and the picture will still work. This gives me a bit more data in the shadows to INCREASE the exposure there in POST a little bit without too much noise/overdoign it for at least some detail... just some is needed.

Also keep in mind your camera may use the JPG in camera to show you the HIGHLIGHT BLINKIES or whatever you call them on your camera. This is typically worng because the JPG does not have as much latitude as the 14 bit raw file. I usually go .3 to 1 stop over this first blinkie as I know my file still has data in that highlight. For backlit shots I heavily overdo the blown skies...

OK now to your dark bellies. It is up to you to add some FILL LIGHT (LIGHTROOM) or HIGHLIGHT CONTRAST (PHOTOSHOP) but I would NOT overdo it. This has a negative effect. The human brain sees hard sunlight and shadows and EXPECTS dark darks and light lights!

If ytou like this discussion to go further we can enhance it with examples. But then we should move it to the Photography forum!
    Manny Gonzalez

Your thought would be AWESOME.

140 by
    JasonKPHX, on Flickr

445 by JasonKPHX, on Flickr

N1115_JBong by JasonKPHX, on Flickr

Jason,

All three have a great chance I think... however the USAir, I would put the nose right up against the right hand frame. Also should make sure the wheel is either fully shown or only the nose shows :-)
    Manny Gonzalez

Hey guys;

Any chance for this one? Abysmal conditions, but it was nice to get the double Sun Country.

Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

Really great chance... I would give it a bit more contrast perhaps.

Manny Gonzalez

Hey guys, sitting at home watching the snow fall and was wondering about this one.

Any chance for a "ramp" shot? I have of image to play with in terms of cropping, etc.

Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

Jermey in my opinion a tighter crop of the two aircraft and having them in the center of the frame might help as well as other adjustments are needed. My concern about the image is that both planes are placed in the lower 3rd of the frame, so therefore, I think you'll have a rough time centering the planes in the frame.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Jermey in my opinion a tighter crop of the two aircraft and having them in the center of the frame might help as well as other adjustments are needed. My concern about the image is that both planes are placed in the lower 3rd of the frame, so therefore, I think you'll have a rough time centering the planes in the frame.
    Hi Mark;
    I agree with your comment. I thought I had more image to play with. After a bit of playing with it and a PhotoShop crash (lost all my actions ) here it what I have. I guess it is another one for the personal collection.

Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

Here are my takes:

Any chance we could get the originals in full res? Or you could PM me them; I think both have potential. I especially like the skyline as the ramp backdrop.

I'm about to upload this one... Any comments and suggestions? Or is it destined to be a fail?