Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

Wikipedia says the SCA will be sold for spare parts. Hopefully, NASA has changed its mind and will hold-on to her for now at least. Didn't know the LA Shuttle wasn't ferried yet, so yes, she's safe for now. I feared for her safety since '79 after watching the opening to the Bond film "Moonraker". The SCA is destroyed in the opening scene. I've been trying to find a model of the Shuttle atop the SCA as a sad reminder of our defunct space program but they stopped making the Revell model kit 1/144 scale. I made one back in the 70's but it get misplaced. It had the old AAL cheatline. It was cool! Only toys remain as reminders.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    I've been trying to find a model of the Shuttle atop the SCA as a sad reminder of our defunct space program but they stopped making the Revell model kit 1/144 scale. I made one back in the 70's but it get misplaced. It had the old AAL cheatline. It was cool! Only toys remain as reminders.
    Look around for the kit from Academy models, I'm sure there are still some of those out there. I just sold my last one 2 weeks ago, you should have piped up sooner! It's Academy Models Kit #1640:

If you're interested in Diecast, I have a very nice model from Dragon Wings, #56184, which is 1:400 scale for $70: http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlus...p?pid=DRW56184

Regards,
    Bill

1/400 scale is too small. NASA has a model at 1/200 for $200. Thanks. I've been making model aircraft for over 30 years and never heard of Academy. When did they start making models? My prized possession is my fibreglass model of Concorde G-BOAD 1/100 with the Singapore Airlines/British Airways logos. It was shipped from England. I also made a model of the Braniff Concorde which was never flown at 1/144 scale. I have a rare model of the Tupolev 1/144 Concordeski with a retractable nose made by a West German manufacturer. I am a senior now and have no patience for painting and decaling. I have an un-opened 1/72 British Concorde model which if I construct will just fit into my bathtub.
    Last edited by Speedbird1; 2012-05-06 at 06:55 AM.

How will we spotters learn the date and time the Enterprise will be removed from the SCA by crane? If the equipment has already arrived, then this could be very soon. We'd have a good view from the Van Wyck overpass. I fear that there will be no mention of this except maybe to the press for publicity. How thrilling it would be to see the Shuttle hoisted off its SCA. I stronly fear we won't learn of this action until it's already been lifted-off. Any feedback would be appreciated. I recall when the Concorde's radome was repaired after the accident at Aviator Sports, the repairs were done without fanfare and I have still seen no photos of the repair. In fact, I still don't know if the radome replaced on the nose was the original or a spare.

How will we spotters learn the date and time the Enterprise will be removed from the SCA by crane? If the equipment has already arrived, then this could be very soon. We'd have a good view from the Van Wyck overpass. I fear that there will be no mention of this except maybe to the press for publicity. How thrilling it would be to see the Shuttle hoisted off its SCA. I stronly fear we won't learn of this action until it's already been lifted-off. Any feedback would be appreciated. I recall when the Concorde's radome was repaired after the accident at Aviator Sports, the repairs were done without fanfare and I have still seen no photos of the repair. In fact, I still don't know if the radome replaced on the nose was the original or a spare.
    From my understanding there are two cranes needed to lift the Enterprise off the SCA so if one is here they have to wait for the second one to arrive from DC. Originally they were looking around the 3rd week of May but that may have changed.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

I've been making model aircraft for over 30 years and never heard of Academy. When did they start making models? I have an un-opened 1/72 British Concorde model which if I construct will just fit into my bathtub.
    1:72nd... WOW, LOL!! Academy has been around for a while now, they are higher quality than Revel/Monogram/MPC but not as high of quality as Tamiya/Hosegawa. The scale is 1:288, which is a little odd, I know.

Here is some info from my old page on it:

This kit contains the Shuttle and the 747 configured for flight. Both aircraft contain fully engraved panel lines, landing gear and engine detail, a beautiful decal sheet, paint details and a display stand. All of the necessary cradle equipment for attaching the shuttle to the 747 is included. Complete landing gear and engine assemblies for the 747 are included. A clear brown plastic display base is included. One Decal Sheet with Markings for One 747 and Four Shuttles. NASA 747 with Shuttle Atlantis, NASA 747 with Shuttle Columbia, NASA 747 with Shuttle Discovery and NASA 747 with Shuttle Endeavour. Skill level 2.

Specifications:
    Scale: 1/288
    747 Length: 9-3/4" (24.6cm)
    747 Width: 9-1/4" (23.4cm)
    747 Height: 2-3/4" (6.8cm)
    Shuttle Length: 4-1/2" (11.4cm)
    Shuttle Width: 3-1/4" (8.1cm)
    Shuttle Height: 1" (2.5cm)

Regards,
    Bill

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately when I contacted the company, it's also out-of stock. In the meantime, I got a nice 4D puzzle from Daron Toys of the model but it's kind of small.

There are some up on eBay... for cheap: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

Thanks again for the info. I have been obsessed with this since seeing the SCA/747 fly over my head twice, once in 1984 and again last week. I was able to get a small metal model in the meantime; the SCA length is only 6"; the scale must be 1/400 but I'd like a bigger model. NASA sells a model pre-assembled, 1/200 for $200, which is kind of steep. I wish I had saved my Revell model which I constructed in the late 70's which was 1/144 and cost about $15. I worked hard to construct but now I can't locate it. I know I never dumped it out.

Please advise when the second crane arrives, I'm obsessed with seeing them hoist the Enterprise off the SCA. I'm fully retired so any day is fine but I must know in advance. If I could photograph it, I'd love to post photos but I dob't see the options when I reply to a message. I only see Edit Post, Reply, and Reply with Quote. My laptop has a slot for my Memory Card but I don't know how to transdfer those shots to this site. I'd love to share.

Please advise when the second crane arrives, I'm obsessed with seeing them hoist the Enterprise off the SCA. I'm fully retired so any day is fine but I must know in advance. If I could photograph it, I'd love to post photos but I dob't see the options when I reply to a message. I only see Edit Post, Reply, and Reply with Quote. My laptop has a slot for my Memory Card but I don't know how to transdfer those shots to this site. I'd love to share.
    When you reply (even with Quick Reply), there are some icons over the box you're typing in. The 4th one from the left is a square that sort of looks like a polaroid photo. Click it, and you can insert a photo. You can't upload though, you can only link... so if you upload the photo to facebook, photobucket, etc. you can link to it & it will be inserted in your post.

Regards,
    Bill

There is a very large crane now on the ground at JFK and the support anchor towers seen at IAD are also in place right where the news event took place on the day of arrival. Looks like operations to de-mate will begin soon.

Now, does anyone know where the Shuttle will actually be placed in the water? I have looked around that part of JFK and can't see an obvious pier or dock or any sort of solid surface where the transition can be made safely and efficiently.

Where did the Concorde make the transition from land to water?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    One possibility is to transport Shuttle Enterprise up Taxiway Quebec to the northwest side of Hangar 19. Then the Shuttle would be loaded onto a barge in the Bergen Basin. Then the barge would transport the shuttle from the basin to Jamaica Bay, NY Harbor, Hudson River.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

OK, I mean once in the water, I know the route... just was wondering about where the transition could happen without too much hanging way over the edge of the sandy beach surrounding the airport. Thanks Luke!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I wouldn't be surprised if they fabricate a temporary ramp of some sort that leads to Bergen Basin near RWY 13R
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet