Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Qantas A380 Safely Lands After Engine Explodes Near Singapore

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Wow, I can't beleive it. That last new plane was the 777 and it had a clean record for years. How old is the A380 and an uncontained failure? That is wild.

Fred, that was a great time. And thankful that wifey came for it, on her BDAY of all days.

Funny I was just near there last night at the Dave Matthews band concert and thought of that night nearby.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

A video from a passenger just after the incident occurred....nothing much but a piece of metal sticking up from the wing.....Thats nothing much unless you were shooting the video that is! lol

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

[QUOTE=Phil D.;432062]Not a nice comment to make, especially from someone that works in the industry. [QUOTE]

Seriously now. And from someone who has flown on the A380 its nice to know people in the industry think like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    Speaking of Disc Failures, here is an unrelated old picture
    I dug up of me and a very cool man I got to meet!

Good time right Mario?
    OK I give up. Who's the old guy on the right?

I believe that is Capt. Al Haynes. Brought the crippled UA DC10 into Iowa back in the late 80's.

He was asking about the dorkey looking guy to the right....Looks like Tom Cruise shaved and beaten with an ugly stick!.... OH WAIT.... I'm sorry... thats me!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

He was asking about the dorkey looking guy to the right....Looks like Tom Cruise shaved and beaten with an ugly stick!.... OH WAIT.... I'm sorry... thats me!
    Oh was that you?

Curious as how QF will cope with the grounding of the 380. Their LHR/LAX flights will be significantly affected. I suppose they will pull 744 from some other routes to fill in the gap. I am sure they will push a lot of passengers to BA, NZ, UA, SQ. It must be a scheduling nightmare.

Is this the first grounding of an entire fleet by a major airline after the DC-10 grounding?

NLovis
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Not a nice comment to make, especially from someone that works in the industry.

Glad everyone was ok.
    Falling is bad very bad. I would not like to see it but were expecting something. The track record of this plane type is not as good as it should be for a new aircraft. I would rather see this eye sore fly then fall. I may not like Airbus but I rather see it fly then fall and injure people.

Why were you expecting something? The 707 727 and DC-10 had growing pains. 707 was blow in doors of the engine needed lots and LOTS of WD-40, the 727 had crosswind issues with the #2 engine surging and the DC-10 had cargo door issues..... What has the A-380 have wrong with it besides being Ugly and not a Boeing? This is an engine problem and can not be classified as an issue with the A-380 at this time. They have not grounded the entire fleet because other airlines have different engines. I am wondering what made this aircraft track record so bad? They have growing pains with all new radicly different types of airframes, like the Pan Am (moment of silence please) when the pilot landed short and took out the entire undercarriage with the lead in lights because he was 3 stories over the ground when he flared and was not used to it. What happed with the A-380 that was such an issue that I missed?

I will bash Airbus because it is the politically correct,
    Damb them tea drinking Euro's with their Lamenent planes....
    Oh, wait... 787...
    Ok, Flybywire crap...
    OOOoohhh 777 and 787
    I mean airplane that is just to big for airlines to handle the workload of one plane....
    (saying the a-380 only holds a few dozen more than a 747?)....
    umm......IT UGLY
    Got Nothin, BECAUSE IT's UGLY!
    Last edited by Derf; 2010-11-05 at 12:54 AM. Reason: My spelling sux

NLovis
    I will bash Airbus because it is the politically correct,
    Damb them tea drinking Euro's with their Lament planes....
    Oh, wait... 787...
    Ok, Flybywire crap...
    OOOoohhh 777 and 787
    I mean airplane that is just to big for airlines to handle the workload of one plane....
    (saying the a-380 only holds a few dozen more than a 747?)....
    umm......IT UGLY
    Got Nothin, BECAUSE IT's UGLY!
    Dont forget to bash em for the subsidaries they got illegally. In all honesty That A380 should have never made off the ground if Airbus wasnt subsidised for it. they would be belly up right now.

Ok, Lets talk the 707....that would have not gotten of the ground if they did not talk the government into starting with tankers. It was not in the face like the A-380 was but I do not think that Airbus was wrong for doing everything it could to make their product happen. I just do not like them because they are ugly.... except the A-319....their kinda cute.... in a plastic Fisher Price kind of way. If Boeing was going down right now I believe that Obama would give his left thingie to keep them alive. Euro's would be crying foul, The Chinese would by the plans and make cheap knock off's fir 30% off, The Peruskiiis would steal the Chinese plans and put the gear on backwards, The Germans would make is smaller with uglier windows and put the engines on upsidown, and the Saudis would hope they are not composites so they burn more fuel.

Wow, sorry about that.... I have no idea where that came from.

Wow, sorry about that.... I have no idea where that came from.
    Whoa Fred, easy there tiger...that was a pretty awesome rant though, not going to lie.

Dont forget to bash em for the subsidaries they got illegally. In all honesty That A380 should have never made off the ground if Airbus wasnt subsidised for it. they would be belly up right now.
    First of all, the word you are looking for is subsidies. Subsidiaries are something completely different. Secondly, you would be crazy to think the US Government wouldn't help Boeing out if they were in the same dire straits that EADS was a few years ago. Thirdly, Fred is absolutely right, this is a Rolls Royce engine issue, NOT an A380 issue.

Back on topic, did anyone read that today's QF6 also had an air return to SIN on the 744 because of an engine issue? I don't know if the bird was an RR powered bird or not, but Rolls is not having a good week! Also, I wonder if QF is regretting the decision to not buy 777s, as they could really use some supplemental widebody capacity right now...
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Quote Originally Posted by JZ View Post
    Is this the first grounding of an entire fleet by a major airline after the DC-10 grounding?

SAS and QX have both grounded there 400's at one point or aother for inspections. Mainly back in 07 I think.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    it gets deeper, this is from the US Airways Exployee Newsletter:Qantas Airlines Non-Rev Embargo Advisement
    As reported yesterday, Qantas Airlines experienced a mid-air engine problem on a Singapore to Sydney flight operated on an A380 aircraft. Qantas has announced it is suspending all flights operated by its fleet of six A380 aircraft. As a result Qantas has applied an embargo on all staff travel on all flights to/from Australia and Europe, Asia and the Americas effective Nov. 5. At this stage the embargo will be in effect until further notice. Qantas will not accept any non-rev passengers holding ZEDs or on company business travel authorizations.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.